Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dying
Hello I am a newish player and I have been loving D&D 5e so far. However my Sorcerer Character was killed recently so I rerolled a new PC Bard. I really enjoy the class ,but after a fight with 3 pirate ships he was shot to death by cannons. My DM allowed me not to be killed for the sake of not having to remake a new character. However I am worried because I do not want this to happen again. Any advice no how to avoid dying?
Play smarter, Roll better, and if the deaths keep up, find a new DM, because it sounds like it's on purpose.

If your DM is running a kind of tries-to-kill-you-all-the-time campaign, you're going to get killed all the time. If the DM isn't running that kind of game, and you're still dying a lot. Think more about your actions, self preservation is key. Three pirate ships is a pretty big thing to go against. T

here's not a lot of information to go on, but it sounds (personally) like the DM is throwing too hard things at you, or you're not doing smart things. That's my two gold, at least.
Yea the cannons did like 8d8 damage to me and there were like 10 of them there was almost nothing I could do. Plus my DM is awesome ,but he really annoys me because he likes to piss me off because I like to spend time making a character that has a deeper personality and story. So He might just be targeting me on purpose
(10-11-2015, 07:04 PM)Bboy207 Wrote: Yea the cannons did like 8d8 damage to me and there were like 10 of them there was almost nothing I could do. Plus my DM is awesome ,but he really annoys me because he likes to piss me off because I like to spend time making a character that has a deeper personality and story. So He might just be targeting me on purpose

That's the distinct impression i got. I mean, don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that's the case, because i don't know anything about the situation, but it certainly feels that way to me.

Out of curiosity, what level were/are you?
we are level 7 but this is the first session with my bard because my sorcerer died last session
I will tell you the whole story

Me(Lore Bard) and the three other party members(Duel Wield Hunter Ranger, Fiend Warlock, and Moon Druid) Where on a merchant vessel. Out of nowhere the ship is surrounded by pirates. I use polymorph and turn into a shark and jump into the water. With the help of the druid in Killer whale form we punctured holes in 2 out of the 3 ships. I went into one of the holes and board the ship with the druid behind me. I got on deck first and used an AOE spell and killed the pirate crew(They were low level) ,but the captain was on this ship. the druid was fighting guys below deck as a dire wolf and the ranger and warlock were taking care of another ship. I was 1v1ing the captain using spells to disable him and then damage him. The the pirates turn came and they all started blasting me with 8d8 cannons. I was surprised because there captain was still on the ship and I didn't think they would risk hitting him. Using a spell I knocked the captain into the water ,but I was finally knocked out. Succeeding my death save and getting to cover were the druid healed me. However the next time the cannons fired they all aimed at me again doing a total of 70 damage to me (My max Hp is 54). Once again I was down and again succeeded my death saving throw I got up and then used a illusion spell to look like the captain and stirred the ship away. However the captain made to their ship and told them to fire at me again so they did. Once Again I was at o and this time i didn't succeed. Next session my DM said he would allow me to make 2 more death saves and hopefully that will work. Oh btw we all managed to kill at the pirates mainly because I ended up taking almost all the damage and no one else other than the druid (he took some damage but it was only when he was in killer whale form) got hit by the cannons.
What system are you guys playing in?
D&D 5e and it is mostly by the book as well
So you guys are not using a lot of homebrew rules?
No not really I have 2 homebrew spells but that is it