Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pathfinder RPG
While I'm aware there is a.. dislike of Pathfinder among most D&D communities I have a love for it as it was my first introduction in the world of the tabletop.

Play wise and in many other ways Pathfinder is similar to D&D but allows for a wealth of strange already made campaigns and adventures. "From pirates to the world war, the depths of hell, to the fringes of space" as my former DM would say.
Sadly like most things related to table top Pathfinder is expensive to play due to the high cost of needed materials.
I'm new to all forms of table top RPG's. Whats the difference between pathfinder and DnD mechanics?
Pathfinder, from what I've been told, is D&D 3.75 - when D&D moved to 4e, a group they had worked with on 3.5e wasn't a fan, so they created Pathfinder as an improvement to 3.5e.

Somebody more knowledgeable than me, please feel free to tell me I'm wrong. Smiling
DMing a game being streamed on Mondays at 8 PM Eastern! COME WATCH! twitch.tv/rpgamer99
@quadz08 on twitter
(10-17-2015, 02:45 PM)quadz08 Wrote: Pathfinder, from what I've been told, is D&D 3.75 - when D&D moved to 4e, a group they had worked with on 3.5e wasn't a fan, so they created Pathfinder as an improvement to 3.5e.

Somebody more knowledgeable than me, please feel free to tell me I'm wrong. Smiling

From what I remember when my group at the time was starting up our 4e campaign, that's basically right.  I'm sure there was more going on behind the scenes, but from the outside that's pretty much what it looked like.  4e was a VERY different system from 3/3.5, and while there's always "grah grah it's not MY edition so it's terrible!" when a new edition comes out, there seemed to be a good deal more of it in the 3.5 to 4e transition.  I think there was also some unhappiness about Wizards not renewing the OGL (Open Game License) but I could be wrong.
I see, so it still uses the d20 system? Thanks for the info.
Yup, it does.  You still roll a d20 and add ability mod/skill ranks/etc. for most stuff.  It's very different in the details, but that basic concept is still the same.