Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Adventures in DM'ing
Well one, nat 20s and 1s only apply to attack rolls as per RAW, not to skill checks ability rolls or saving throws, so unless you aknore doing a homebrew variant the nat 20 on the jump wouldn't matter.

Two I personally think that further punishing a player for already wasting their action on a miss is a bit much, the same for critical hits they already double the damage dice no auto kills or anything should be required to make that any more special. I don't feel its reasonable that a player should have a 1 in 20 chance to break a weapon or something else as drastic as that. You have one player roll a 1 and destroy their primary weapon, damage them, and they loose their attack. Then another player rolls a one and only takes some damage and is knocked prone. Compared to each other it seems one got a much more drastic result because the desicion is based on "whatever you feel like"

Then there is the bit that these are adventurers. They are people that are trained and proficient with their weapons. I find it hard to believe that a person who makes a living with a sword is going to cut themselves 5% of the times they swing it. Even if at first level its maybe kind of justified, what about at 20th when they are basically gods? The most epic level adventurer smacks himself all the time in a fight? And if my bow kept breaking I would just carry six of them and start shopping at a different bow maker.

Again, this is all personal preference. If everyone is having a good time thats all that matters. This is just how i see it. This kind of mechanic would strike me as more of a silly campaign type of deal and even then would seem very frustrating... especially with little to no structure. Honestly the only thing I would have an issue with is how you said you do the critical fails for your entertainment. Maybe its not how you meant it but that seems like a poor attitude for a dm to have.
(10-01-2015, 05:17 PM)mentalburnout Wrote: Well one, nat 20s and 1s only apply to attack rolls as per RAW, not to skill checks ability rolls or saving throws, so unless you aknore doing a homebrew variant the nat 20 on the jump wouldn't matter.

Two I personally think that further punishing a player for already wasting their action on a miss is a bit much, the same for critical hits they already double the damage dice no auto kills or anything should be required to make that any more special. I don't feel its reasonable that a player should have a 1 in 20 chance to break a weapon or something else as drastic as that. You have one player roll a 1 and destroy their primary weapon, damage them, and they loose their attack. Then another player rolls a one and only takes some damage and is knocked prone. Compared to each other it seems one got a much more drastic result because the desicion is based on "whatever you feel like"

Then there is the bit that these are adventurers. They are people that are trained and proficient with their weapons. I find it hard to believe that a person who makes a living with a sword is going to cut themselves 5% of the times they swing it. Even if at first level its maybe kind of justified, what about at 20th when they are basically gods? The most epic level adventurer smacks himself all the time in a fight? And if my bow kept breaking I would just carry six of them and start shopping at a different bow maker.

Again, this is all personal preference. If everyone is having a good time thats all that matters. This is just how i see it. This kind of mechanic would strike me as more of a silly campaign type of deal and even then would seem very frustrating... especially with little to no structure. Honestly the only thing I would have an issue with is how you said you do the critical fails for your entertainment. Maybe its not how you meant it but that seems like a poor attitude for a dm to have.

In regards to rolling a 20 for ability checks, I like to make the feat an epic feat. In the case of Seraphina, instead of simply jumping onto the Bugbear's back, she swings up by the hair on its arm, her other arm poised to strike at its back. For the narrative, that is pretty epic sounding than simply jumping on someone's back, which would have happened on a normal role. A poor role and not meeting the AC is already a wasted role. If a success is a normal success, a fail is a normal fail, and a 20 is a critical, then the logic extends that on checks, a 20 is a critical success, and the logic follows that, on the other side of the coin, a 1 is regarded as a critical fail. Just like a 20 is interpreted to be more than a normal hit/success, so the one is interpreted to be less than a normal miss/failure.

The effects of a natural 1 is not designed to be dealt as a punishment, nor is it taken to be as one by my players. It is dealt to make things more interesting for myself and for the players, who are all enjoying the story together. Rather than combat being roll “hit,” roll “miss,” there is that added sense of risk when, if you roll the dreading 1, you KNOW something is going to happen.

I disagree, I think the system is perfectly reasonable. You are drawing several conclusion on how I am running the game. So, to address them:

1. Weapons develop wear and tear and can break. In regards to the long bow, they are placed under tremendous pressure. If it breaks while drawing it, it’s going to hurt and cause damage. Additionally, I added that detail to the story to Squanch’s character, where his master and the storekeeper at the Lionshield met him with exasperation when they learned he broke another bow. I turned the epic fail into something humorous and entertaining for the character that adds to his individual story within the adventure.

2. the situation of Squanch losing his longbow was fixed quickly by Seraphina offering her shortbow to Squanch to use.

3. the damage Squanch received from his bow breaking was the same amount of damage that Seraphina got from falling: 1d4. Squanch just had 2HP left; that’s why he got knocked out.

You misunderstood what I said. I stated that described how the action goes is part of the creative fun I get to have, not solely for my entertainment. My players get entertainment out of it as well. Indeed, the result is based on what I decide, but I am fair-handed in what happens. You are missing the point that even random crap just happens and mistakes can be made, even at 20th level. The failures add to the narrative, and the narrative makes the game.

Again, you are coming to conclusions about how I run the game. I do not disagree about your preferences, but they are just that: your preferences. You don't have any business to crticize how I run my games based on how you prefer to play, especially my attitude as a DM. You are not even playing the game, so I fail to see why you sound so bothered about how I do it. It is just one small aspect about the game. My players talk about the failures just as much as successes because they are memorable in the narrative.

This thread was started to share a story my friends and I are making; not to receive criticism on one house rule.

(09-30-2015, 11:08 AM)misstray Wrote:  That's where being a Halfling would come in handy!  Yay for Halflings!!

I messaged that tidbit to my Halfling Rogue. She promptly raged at forgetting it XD
Thanks for elaborating so much. As I said, if thats the campaign you are running and everyone involved is happy with it then there is no issue. Also as I said according to the rules crit fails and successes are for attacks only, but if you are not doing that then that's fine as long as everyone involved is happy and there are no issues. Not to mention, as I said, these are my preferences but I wouldn't think that what I prefer goes for everyone. Sounds like your players are enjoying your particular DM style very much according to you. Keep up the good work. Happy gaming.
Hey SuperZeo, really enjoyed reading how your campaign is going. I have also just started the "lost mines of phandelver" campaign and it's great reading how different our experiences are. Instead of a goblin, the cleric tried taming one of the wolfs in that first cave. It didn't end well.

As for critical fails I also like to spice things up with possible added penalty's. I make sure each player fully describes how they attack each round, and if they roll a 1 the consequences match the motion. (eg. a heavy overhead swing that misses could be harmless, get wedged, or break the weapon. I make them roll a percentage die to see how bad of a fail it is) All the players seemed to enjoy the added risk, and it leads to a lot of laughter and banter afterwards. But I understand not everyone would, especially if you're not playing with close friends.

Please keep me posted with how your game goes, and I'll be posting how mine does at some point too. But right now I've got to finish drawing the Redbrand hideout map for tomorrow :-)