Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Coast Hunters
I may as well describe the current campaign I'm playing in. Basically, we're a bunch of student at this academy learning the ways of the world. We just "finished" our final exam (which was a set of 3 battles one after the other) against our rivals... when all of a sudden we were detained by the academy guards. We usually play on Friday nights on Roll20.

The Dungeon Master: Alex McMurray / @Amcmurray86Alex

The Party:
Mari Valentine the elven bard / Anne Ramos / @xo_girlwonder
Serafina Braydon the human sorcerer / Keila K / @ladyangelkk
Leomorn Moonshadow the half-elven fighter / Adam Schwartze (Me!) / @Tiamat_ZX
Tenacity the tiefling druid / Derek / Twitter handle unknown
Bolgar Windfingers the halfling rogue / Akiva / @AkivaDaphydd (The name should sound familiar to some.)

As of this moment, we all finally reached level 2.

And I'm even keeping a journal in-character of my character's story and, in essence, his journey with the party.

If anyone's interested in seeing the journal entries, please let me know.
My YouTube channel for VG commentary playthroughs. Come check it out of you want.
Proud supporter of Vaxleth, an adventurer looking for campaigns to join, and just an avid fan of Critical Role.
Well, the "prologue" part of our campaign is over, with the charges of treason being dropped at the cost of the truth regarding the deaths of countless soldiers being covered. Next session, our adventure officially begins with us now being bounty hunters and/or mercenaries.
My YouTube channel for VG commentary playthroughs. Come check it out of you want.
Proud supporter of Vaxleth, an adventurer looking for campaigns to join, and just an avid fan of Critical Role.
We ended our second session last Friday.

Our sorceress left to pursue something related to her backstory (IRL, she is temporarily gone due to expecting a baby). But then we eventually met someone else, a half-elven cleric of Hanali Celanil named Linora Gardenheart (Devon / @damage_ko on Twitter) . We later rescued her from a few cultists of Orcus who were performing some ritual where they were planning to turn her into an empty vessel for storing magic. I got my first kill that night against the leader, a Cult Fanatic.

After the fight, I looted his body and another cultist got looted. Overall, the items of interest were 23 GP, a Potion of Poison, a Potion of Greater Healing, two maps, and a Ring of Water Breathing which I currently have in my inventory. Curious as to whether it might have other benefits, I'll have it identified next session or find out for myself when I attune to it.
In our recent session, more RP happened, and it turned out that we had to reverse the ritual to save Linora's life. After that, we supposedly took another job, this one requiring us to take out some kobolds.

And we all reached level 3.
(08-10-2016, 08:25 AM)TiamatZX Wrote: In our recent session, more RP happened, and it turned out that we had to reverse the ritual to save Linora's life. After that, we supposedly took another job, this one requiring us to take out some kobolds.

Nice! Level 3 is where it starts to get crazy.
(08-10-2016, 01:46 PM)DaggerDaggerDagger Wrote:
(08-10-2016, 08:25 AM)TiamatZX Wrote: In our recent session, more RP happened, and it turned out that we had to reverse the ritual to save Linora's life. After that, we supposedly took another job, this one requiring us to take out some kobolds.

Nice! Level 3 is where it starts to get crazy.

I've already picked my archetype: Eldritch Knight. And once I reach level 4, I'm getting Tough so that I can get high HP as soon as possible.
Due to not resting last session, we were not able to utilize our level 3 abilities. Even worse, our attempt to go in and deal with the kobolds went south very fast. Let's just say that my character's pyrophobia was triggered, causing me to be an utterly useless and emotional wreck for half the session.
Well, a lot has happened since the last update. Needless to say, we are now able to use our level 3 abilities and we are currently hunting down a pack of bandits terrorizing the High Road, with the intent to capture their leader alive.

Also, the group dynamic has shifted from being based on friendship to one of strictly business. My character has reservations since he doesn't think he can adjust to this and still values his friendships, but is too soft-spoken to voice his objections to it. Also, when we got ambushed by bandits and thugs, Linora got her first kills last session... which was quite traumatizing for her. Also the DM broke my sword in two when I rolled two Natural 1s even with advantage, forcing me to use my bonus action to finish off the last bandit with an off-hand dagger. At least I rolled 3 Natural 20s that night: Charisma (Insight) check to teach Linora some basic Orcish words, Sleight of Hand check to disguise the somatic component for a prepared Ray of Frost, and a Perception check to detect a bandit trying to stealth and attack me.

My overall Crit Wins and Fails:

Natural 20s:
Session 1
Acrobatics Check to Parkour up a barn wall
Insight Check vs. Maramos Silentread, an elven thief

Session 2
Longbow attack vs. Cult Fanatic (HDYWTDT)
Arcana Check to identify a Potion of Greater Healing

Session 3
History Check on Greenist

Session 4
NONE

Session 5
Nature Check to determine a certain burned individual's race.

Session 6
NONE

Session 7
Charisma (Insight) check to teach Linora Orcish
Sleight of Hand check to disguise somatic component for Ray of Frost
Perception check to detect a bandit trying to stealth

Natural 1s:
Session 1
NONE

Session 2
Stealth Check to sneak up on two individuals

Session 3
NONE

Session 4
Longbow attack vs. Lizardfolk (hit Linora for 11 damage)

Sesson 5
Perception Check to find out whether I heard the sound of Mari being injured
Arcana Check (details unknown because the DM is a troll)

Session 6
NONE

Session 7
Rapier attack vs. Bandit even with advantage (rapier breaks)
Welp, things have changed since the last update.

Suffice to say, the rogue has left the party and has been replaced by a halfling ranger. And after hearing the other side of the story, and seeing as we have common goals, we've allied with the intended bounty instead.

We've also all reached level 4 (2710 XP accumulated thus far) except for the ranger who is now level 3 (and is using the UA Ranger updates).

As far as abilities go, I took the Resilient feat for Wisdom and I now have 4 spells (Shield, Sleep, Chromatic Orb, and Alarm).
Status update: in trying to help a half-orc female return to her village to bury her dead brother, we were seized and detained by the orcs who resided there because her brother was denied his place with Grummsh, or something like that.

Therefore, this week (which will be the last session before the DM takes a sabbatical/goes on hiatus) will be our attempt at escaping the village with our lives. Oh, and Linora's mother is alive... but she's among the orcs, and she may have a half-orc baby with her.

Needless to say, the cleric was not happy. And that was the cliffhanger!

The last session lasted for seven hours, from 9PM CST to 4AM CST.