Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideas for a Mystic
Books 
Hello I am DMing a really awesome campaign currently. Soon I am going to let another player DM while I play a character. This Character I have planned is using a homebrew class based on the Psionic info posted by Wotc in there unearthed arcana. Where I am having trouble is deciding on what race to choose. Originally he was a Gnome but now I am not sure. My DM said I could really choose any homebrew as long as it wasn't overpowered. So I was thinking of going with this Dhamper race I found as it ties into the main story as they are in conflict with vampires as well as interesting roleplay stuff. However a half-Vampire Mystic sounds a little outlandish what are your thoughts.

His current backstory
Born the bastard son to Lady Stilmyst in the city of Thydul . Calder was lucky because his stepfather out of honor claimed him. So Calder grew up in a home were almost no one wanted him. His older siblings constantly picked on him. As they all grew Calder used his anger to work harder in his studies instead of letting it tear him down. Calder eventually showed signs of a power that was unknown to most in this world. After a powerful accident that almost killed Calders siblings Calder was forced to live a life of solitude. After years of being locked away in the estate grounds with only books to keep him company Calder demanded release. His parents relented and called in a Archmage from the nearby magical institution to try to help Calder. Despite there powers being different the Archmage was able to help Calder. His parents reluctantly let Calder out only if he stayed with the Mage.After that Calder's life improved as he became the Archmages assistant. However after a decade this too became dull. Calder began to realize that in order to truly find freedom and master his powers he had to leave this life he had in Thydul. In the wake of this decision Calder packed up his stuff wrote two letters one for the mage and the other for his family. That night Calder escaped into the forest seeking himself, the truth,and adventure.
I'm not familiar with the Dhamper as a race, but the backstory sounds cool. Roleplaying uncommon races is really difficult to do well, and even more difficult for a DM to react to. It means the DM has to either incorporate each NPC's reaction to your race every time, or brush it under the rug for the sake of narrative. Either way has it's issues, but if you have a DM who's willing to do that then count yourself lucky my friend :-)

Hope your campaign goes well
(03-15-2016, 04:16 AM)DaggerDaggerDagger Wrote: I'm not familiar with the Dhamper as a race, but the backstory sounds cool. Roleplaying uncommon races is really difficult to do well, and even more difficult for a DM to react to. It means the DM has to either incorporate each NPC's reaction to your race every time, or brush it under the rug for the sake of narrative. Either way has it's issues, but if you have a DM who's willing to do that then count yourself lucky my friend :-)

Hope your campaign goes well

Yea it would be interesting because I think I am going to make his father either be part of the evil vampires or a good vampire fighting the evil ones.
Also Dhampers look almost exactly like Humans but paler with small fangs so most NPCs wouldn't notice