Poll: Which character would you want in your party?
Dwarven Fighter
Dwarven Bard
Aasimar Cleric/Druid
Halfing Warlock
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choose between four characters.
I've had four, very different characters running around in my head, 2 of them almost completely fleshed out. Was wondering which one folks found most interesting, would want to play with, think would do the best. Use your own criteria and feel free to post your thoughts/improvements.

Dwarven Fighter: Dual-wielding ex-soldier/mercenary who's got a habit of throwing handaxes. I'd plan on getting the Dual Wielder feat to allow for a warhammer/battleaxe combination. This backstory isn't as fleshed out as some of the others, but I've experimented with some solo scenarios and he's a lot of fun. I'd imagine he's away from his company, either on leave or AWOL, searching out something to clear a family name, or, you know, wealth.

Dwarven Bard: This fellow is a skald-like performer with a penchant for telling stories instead of singing, but skilled in bagpipes and drums. His MO would be inspiring the party during combat, together with occasionally mind-breaking enemies, and smashing their heads in with his hammer. He's old, really old, and only got into the story-telling game after a life-time of working in the family mines. Miners talk, you see, to pass the time, and every story stuck. It could be a running gag during inappropriate situations where he'd go, "This reminds of time Glardwin set off to defeat the white dragon..."

Aasimar Cleric (Tempest)/or Druid: This one's a little weird, and has been banging around in my head for a while. She's been holed up in the elemental plane of air for years, as she's, by law, the heir to a title, ladyship, and land. Someone, or someones, has been seeking to end her life and claim the lands for him/her/themselves. She returns to the Realms with no recollection of who she is or any or her past, only that she's supposed to go with the party. Unaware of her skills even, they'd emerge when most needed. My issue with this character is the absence of a satisfying elemental cleric or druid option. I'd want to the variant noble background route, which allows for retainers, who'd of course recognize her for who she is.

Halfling Warlock: Warlocks are interesting. Options seem limited and reliant on short rests to continually recharge those two spells. And experiments with this character really have shown that two-spell limit to be a big hassle (I misty step away from him and cast dissonant whispers... and my slots are gone.) They been thought to just be Eldritch spammers. Deeper research has opened up some versatility. This fellow stood alone against a monstrosity, which caught the eye of an otherwordly entity. In exchange for dealing with the beasts, he must search for a way to free the entity from reality. It wants to die. This warlock would be Great Old One pacted, and would rely heavily on the Book of Ancient Secrets, which effectively allows the warlock to seek out and learn every ritual spell in the game (allowing for immense versatility such as divining, communing, water breathing, and identifying), together with many of the other warlock abilities (a familiar, comprehending languages, speak with animals). If I won a contest and could play on Critical Role for a night and could make a 13th level character, this'd probably be the guy I made.
I have a dragonborn warlock in my game who has gone for great old one/ book of ancient secrets, and his rituals have got the party through some really tough situations. Though probably the least effective in combat, he takes point on almost every out of combat scenario. Definitely a very versatile class if your not in a combat heavy campaign.
My vote goes to the Dwarven bard, as I love the flavor of the Skald. The comedic potential is also great if no one else in the party is filling that role. I have the feeling that this would be the Dwarven response to the Elf tradition of Spellsingers (from the Forgotten Realms), complete with bawdy tales and rousing oratory instead of epic romances or tragedies.

The Aasimar brings up a great point that someone made in another thread about having backstories that are perhaps too epic for a first level character.
(02-13-2016, 03:44 PM)psychicearth Wrote: My vote goes to the Dwarven bard, as I love the flavor of the Skald. The comedic potential is also great if no one else in the party is filling that role. I have the feeling that this would be the Dwarven response to the Elf tradition of Spellsingers (from the Forgotten Realms), complete with bawdy tales and rousing oratory instead of epic romances or tragedies.

The Aasimar brings up a great point that someone made in another thread about having backstories that are perhaps too epic for a first level character.

I hear what you're about the too epic thing. But nothing has to be resolved for a while. Taking our favorite dnd stream as a guide, Percy could have become ruker of Whitestone if he wished and Vox Machina was on the ruling body of Emon for like, five seconds. It's possible to reach too far with characters, but not knowing about any of it opens her up to other avenues of quest and discovery.