Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DM block
Not truly DM block but similar.  I have the notion for a very cool addition to my current setting for a series of adventures for my party, with maps 'acquired' from an old Dungeon Magazine I will have this former giant city/fortress built into the side of a cliff.  The giants that built it are long gone and their descendants degenerated into little more moronic beasts.  The city/fortress fell into disrepair until the remaining giants were killed by...  an evil group/order not connected to any of my evil group/orders I currently use in the setting...  and that's where I"m stuck.  I've tried to build said order several times but hate it when I get just a few paragraphs into it.  Any ideas/inspirations  I would appreciate.  the current  orders/groups consist of no less than three demon lords/princes and their minions, a lust cult, a diabolic order called the Axe and Sigil, and a family run regional thieves guild.
How about instead of an evil order, have it be a 'good' order; that is an extremist group dedicated to a Lawful Good or Chaotic Good deity who are seeking to rid the world of evil through extremist means or have such high standards that they judge everyone else as evil.
(01-28-2016, 08:13 PM)LordofUzkulak Wrote: How about instead of an evil order, have it be a 'good' order; that is an extremist group dedicated to a Lawful Good or Chaotic Good deity who are seeking to rid the world of evil through extremist means or have such high standards that they judge everyone else as evil.

This is a good idea Lordofuzkulak, go down the "purist" route where even good characters don't meet their mark. 

Maybe have a haunted style mystery hunt? Spirits of the giants/ giant zombies roam the ancient fortress, seeking vengeance and justice. Dot clever clues around the dungeon that lead to a sinister ritual performed by a Lich who is using the deceased giants for his own nefarious purpose. 

Or maybe have the dungeon be a cloud giant fortress, and a pirate group is trying to make it fly again to get an airborne ship. You could make it take off while the party are inside, and have the leader linked to the flying mechanism somehow to make it difficult for the party to kill/KO him without crashing the castle?
I don't have an answer for you, but here are some questions to hopefully spark some ideas.

Why did this group risk their lives fighting giants in order to move in? What is so special about this location? Is there some natural resource here? A gateway or portal? The hidden bones of a dead god? Buried treasure? A library once thought destroyed?

Once you know why this place is important, it might make it easier to figure out who would want to move in.
The fortress holds one of the three Shiedemark forges the ancient giant empire had. simply put they make it possible to forge skymetals (which I'm using mostly from Pathfinder. During the era of the empire Skymetal ore was brought to places like this to be forged into giant weapons and armor. The degenerated Giants lost the ability to use this forge but it was mentioned in the very little knowledge that survived from that time.