Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post D&D Blues: Is it a thing?
Please tell me other people experience this:  Post D&D blues.

Currently, I play in 3 games:  Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.  

Game day anticipation is high.  I'm a bundle of nervous energy all day Saturday until the game starts and then afterward I'm riding on post game high and wind-down takes me a while.  My Sunday game is a morning game, so I usually am tired for that one (and no chance for the nervous energy build up as I pretty much get out of bed, get ready, grab some tea and it's game time).  The rest of Sunday is dull.  Then I wake up Monday and the anticipation builds up again.  I'm keyed up all day at work & then have to rush home from work to quickly grab something to eat before the game begins.  

I struggle more with my Monday character than the others.  I love her, but she's a charisma based character (a bard) and I won't lie, playing her is a bit more out of my comfort zone.  My other characters are clerics (one Knowledge and one LIght) and so I don't have to worry about being the voice of the party or doing charisma-ey stuff.  I don't consider myself naturally quit-witted with quips.  I'm not saying I can't be funny or witty, but it's usually like 10 minutes later when I think "OH I should have said this or done that."  Don't get me wrong, I love my bard, and I think it's good for me to get out of my comfort zone because I definitely have a tendency to stay within that zone when I find it.  The point of elaborating on my Monday character here is more for understanding.  She's the last character I play before my next game on Saturday (5 days away!) so I probably tend to beat myself up over her the most and I nitpick about things I missed, didnt say or do with her.  Last night, I think I played her horribly which was compounded by rolling exceedingly poorly.  I imagine her screaming at me, "What are you doing with me, you moron! I'm awesome and you are ruining me!!!".

So, I wake up Tuesdays and there is a long gap before the next game.  The excitement from the other games is mostly gone.  I have other real life things to do and other games to watch, but still I feel sad.  Today is particularly bad.  I find myself just right on the edge of tears.  If someone looks at me wrong I just might burst out crying.  That sounds so stupid.

It's comparable to the feeling when I go away for a few days with a group of friends.  The excitement leading up to it is huge.  The time away is all go-go-go with tons of laughter and so much energy and fun.  And then it's over.  And DROP.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share.  Maybe I'm hoping that  I'm not just crazy and the only person who experiences this and others can relate.  And I hoped I might feel a bit better writing it out.  I try to be a bit more upbeat on my other social media.  I always feel like I'm being passive-aggressive or attention whorey if I post something negative.  I tend to feel like the kid left on the sideline for the most part anyhow.  Oh the joys of being a shy introvert.

Now we'll see if this posts.  The last time I attempted to start a post the CrittersRPG Gods ate my post.
For what it's worth, I think you play Bree really well. Smiling She's a ton of fun, and you're very good at her! I get the same way my games, too. Smiling
DMing a game being streamed on Mondays at 8 PM Eastern! COME WATCH! twitch.tv/rpgamer99
@quadz08 on twitter
Sounds like you could do with a midweek game to tide you over ;-) I know what you mean though, I DM 2-3 times a week and every morning after a session I can't stop thinking about what I could have done to make the game more enjoyable or a better challenge. I suppose one way to look at it is that we're very lucky to have such an involved hobby, but I'm British, so the glass is always half empty!