Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proud DM Moment...
Need to share this, can't think of another place to.

I'm a high school math teacher and run/DM a Tabletop/D&D Club here at the school. Had a great piece of action happen yesterday.

We are running the Lost Mines of Phandelver and the party is chasing down Iarno, an evil wizard. Two shoot at him to attempt to slow him down, while the third wants to use part of his Dash action to charge and attempt to tackle him. I see no reason not to allow it. They've been cutting down enemies with little thought for consequences and I've been hinting that they've been missing out on some valuable information. They've finally taken it to heart.

Me: Okay, you can reach him, roll an attack. 
Student: *succeeds*
Me: *wizard fails strength check* Alright, you're near the crevasse, roll a dexterity saving throw to prevent any sort of fall. 
Student: *fails remarkably*
Me: You and the mage tumble off the side into the crevasse, roll an acrobatics check.
Student: *passes*
Me: The mage uses your check since he's grappled, you both take 4 damage. Roll a strength check to hold onto the mage. 
Student: *beats the mage's roll*
Me: You're able to hold onto him and you're both lying on the bottom of the crevasse. And that's where we'll end today!
Student: That was awesome!

Also, one of my group is showing another student his character sheet. 
Student 1: It's for the D&D Club. 
Student 2: Wait, what? There's a CLUB?! You're lying. 
Me: Nope, I run it. 
S2: What do you mean you run it? 
S1: He's our DM. 
S2: Get out of here! You're so lying. 
Me: *shows the DMGuide*
S2: OMG I'm so there, when do you meet? 

And that's how I'm probably up to 9 party members and may need to split them up!
(01-12-2016, 08:58 AM)MessiahMoose Wrote: Also, one of my group is showing another student his character sheet. 
Student 1: It's for the D&D Club. 
Student 2: Wait, what? There's a CLUB?! You're lying. 
Me: Nope, I run it. 
S2: What do you mean you run it? 
S1: He's our DM. 
S2: Get out of here! You're so lying. 
Me: *shows the DMGuide*
S2: OMG I'm so there, when do you meet? 

And that's how I'm probably up to 9 party members and may need to split them up!

You'll be better off.  9 people is a lot to manage and slows things down.  4 & 5 much easier.
Hahaha sounds great, thats the kind of reaction you want as a DM! I have a lot of respect for teachers starting DnD sessions for students. The intro set is great fun and a good way to get people interested, though I'm impressed you're running it with eight people (probably took a lot of work to make the new characters and tweak the encounters). Keep up the good work!
I thought it would be harder than it is. We have an hour to play once a week, so the encounters end up being pretty quick anyway. Plan on replacing goblins with orcs, which is an easy and quick replacement.