Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Living Weapon Custom Class... I might be addicted to class creation.
D6 
Hey I'm building (another) custom class, if you haven't seen my other one here it is:
http://forum.crittersrpg.com/showthread....58#pid1158
This one is based off of the Monk class for those of you who are wondering. Also it is a work in progress, but I have the ground work figured out.

Living Weapon.
Quick Build.
You can make a living weapon by following these suggestions. First make Strength your highest ability score fallowed by Dexterity or Consitution. Second, choose the Criminal background. (or my personal favorite the Far Traveler from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, this is just personal opinion but it makes a more viable reason for you to travel from far off.)

Class Features.
As a Living Weapon you gain the fallowing features.

Hit Points (I'm not sure how this will work, I might have to weaken the hit dice if the features are a little OPed)
Hid Dice: 1d8 per living weapon level.
Hit Points at 1st Level: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per living weapon level after 1st.

Proficiencies
Armor: None
Weapons: Simple weapons.
Tools: Chose one type of Musical Instruments or Gaming Sets.

Saving Throws: Strength, Dexterity.
Skills: Choose 3 from Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Perception, Persuasion, and Stealth.

Equipment
You start with the fallowing equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background.
    •    (a) a quarter staff or (b) any simple weapon.
    •    (a) explorer’s pack or (b) scholar’s pack.

Unarmored Defense
    Beginning at 1st level, while wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC equals 10 + your Strength modifier + your Constitution modifier.

Product of Experimentation
    At 1st level, you have been altered in some way by outside means choose one of the fallowing: Experimental Tech, Cursed by the Great Old One, or Forbidden Magic, each will be detailed at the end of the class description. Your choice grants you features at 1st level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Fast Movement
    Starting at 2nd level, your speed increases by 10 feet if you are not wearing armor.

Ability Score Improvement
    When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase on ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Extra Attack
    Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Product of Experimental Tech.
Built in Weapon.
    At 1st level, pick between bludgeoning, piercing or slashing damage types, this will be for your built in weapon which you are proficient with. As a free action you may produce a weapon from your arm that deals 1d6 + your Strength modifier.
Magik Tech.
    At 6th level, your weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.
Wise to the Character of Man.
    At 10th level, you gain proficiency in the Insight skill. If you are already proficient in it, you gain proficiency in one of the following skills of your choice: Deception, Intimidation, Investigation, or Persuasion.
    Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses Insight. You receive this benefit regardless of the skill proficiency you gain from this feature.
Powerful Magik Tech.
    At 14th level, your weapon becomes imbued with a magical damage type from this list: Fire, Cold, Electric or Force. This adds a d4 of damage to your attack of that type. Example you deal 1d6 slashing damage plus 1d4 of fire damage.

Cursed by The Great Old One
The Great Old One’s Weapon.
    At 1st level, even though you survived your encounter with the Great Old One you have been physically marked by it, your arm has been transformed into a tentacle, this tentacle does 1d6 bludgeoning damage. You have advantage on any grapples you make with it, on fallowing turns you may make a attack roll to deal 1d4 crushing damage as you tighten you grip.
The Great Old One’s Skin.
    At 6th level, you gain resistance to narcotic damage and gain the ability to once per long rest deal 1d4 narcotic damage.
The Great Old One’s Mind
    At 10th level, your thoughts can’t be read by telepathy or other means unless you allow it. You also have resistance to psychic damage, and whenever a creature takes the same amount of damage that you do.
The Great Old One’s Control
    At 14th level, you have learned how to tap into the powers imbed in you body, you may add 1d4 of narcotic damage to all attack rolls. If you successfully grapple an enemy, on fallowing turns you may make an attack roll to deal 1d4 damage and 1d4 narcotic damage.

Product of Forbidden Magic.
Second Chance
    Starting at 1st level, the magic flowing through your body gives your unarmed strikes unnatural power, you now deal 1d6 + your Strength modifier with your unarmed strike. Also when you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.
Quick Step
    At 6th level, you can channel the magic flowing your body to vanish in a puff of mist in response to harm. When you take damage, you can use your reaction to turn invisible and teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. You remain invisible until the start of your next turn or until you attack.
    One you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
Magics Protection
    Starting at 10th level, you can choose one damage type when you finish a short or long rest. You gain resistance to that damage type until you choose a different one with this feature. Damage from magical weapons or silver weapons ignores this resistance.
Dispel Magic
    Starting at 14th level, you can use your action to end one spell on yourself or on one willing creature that you touch.
    You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (a minimum of once). You regain expended uses when you finish a long rest.
Another great build, nice one Jinxedsouls. To be honoust you have enough their to make 2 seperate builds in my opinion. One based on Self modification (cyborg style) and one based on "Alien" experimentation, both excellent ideas.
Hmmm that's a good idea, I'll start thinking of how it would work. It might take a while until I figure that out. I am going to have someone in a campaign I'm going to run to play this class so it will have a lot more edits (hopefully.)
Alright I have this figured out (I think), that last one (Product of Forbidden Magic) could be modified to become quite the interesting Monk Tradition instead. So I'm going to focus the build of this class on the Experimental Tech and Evil Cult (which I'm going to change to Forbidden Magic in name). So here goes what I have in mind currently;
Quick Build.
You can make a living weapon by following these suggestions. First make Strength your highest ability score fallowed by Dexterity. Second, choose the Criminal background.

Class Features.

Hit Points
Hit Points at 1st Level: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per living weapon level after 1st.

Proficiencies

Skills: Choose 3 from Acrobatics, Athletics Deception, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Perception, Persuasion, and Stealth.

Equipment
You start with the fallowing equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background.
•(a) a quarter staff or (b) any simple weapon.
•(a) explorer’s pack or (b) scholar’s pack.

Unarmored Defense
Beginning at 1st level, while wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC equals 10 + your Strength modifier + your Constition modifier.

At 1st level, you have been altered in some way by outside means choose one of the fallowing: Experimental Tech, or Forbidden Magic, each will be detailed at the end of the class description. Your choice grants you features at 1st level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Fast Movement
Starting at 2nd level, your speed increases by 10 feet if you are not wearing armor.

Altered Immunity
By 3rd level, your augmented immune system has developed to the point you are immune to disease.

When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase on ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Uncanny Dodge
Starting at 5th level, when an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack’s damage against you.

Unconventional Magik
At 7th level the experiments have imbued you with the ability to cast 2 cantrips from the Bard’s spell list.

Pushing Your Limits
At 9th level, you are willing to press the limits of the experiments even if it ends badly for you. You can now reroll a saving throw you fail. If you do so, you must use the new roll, and you can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest. Also if you roll a 1 on the new roll than you are knocked prone.
You can use this feature twice between long rests starting at 13th level and three times between long rests starting at 17th level.

Built in Weapon.
At 1st level, pick between bludgeoning, piercing or slashing damage types, this will be for your built in weapon which you are proficient with. As a free action you may produce a weapon from your arm that deals 1d6 + your Strength modifier.
Magik Tech.
At 6th level, your weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.
At 10th level, you gain proficiency in the Insight skill. If you are already proficient in it, you gain proficiency in one of the following skills of your choice: Deception, Intimidation, Investigation, or Persuasion.
Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses Insight. You receive this benefit regardless of the skill proficiency you gain from this feature.
Powerful Magik Tech.
At 14th level, your weapon becomes imbued with a magical damage type from this list: Fire, Cold, Electric or Force. This adds a d4 of damage to your attack of that type. Example you deal 1d6 slashing damage plus 1d4 of fire damage.
At 1st level, even though you survived your encounter with the Great Old One you have been physically marked by it, your arm has been transformed into a tentacle, this tentacle does 1d6 bludgeoning damage. You have advantage on any grapples you make with it, on fallowing turns you may make a attack roll to deal 1d4 damage.
At 6th level, you gain resistance to narcotic damage and gain the ability to once per long rest deal 1d4 narcotic damage.
The Great Old One’s Mind
At 10th level, your thoughts can’t be read by telepathy or other means unless you allow it. You also have resistance to psychic damage, and whenever a creature takes the same amount of damage that you do.
At 14th level, you have learned how to tap into the powers imbed in you body, you may add 1d4 of narcotic damage to all attack rolls. If you successfully grapple an enemy, on fallowing turns you may make an attack roll to deal 1d4 damage and 1d4 narcotic damage.

This is still a work in progress as always so I'm still going to be adjusting the class features as needed. I'm also working on a background or two related to this class.
So here's the rough draft of what should be the final look. I am thinking of altering things still but at the moment my hands are full with a staggering module I'm building that could in theory have 4 separate groups playing at the same time... It's hard to explain how it will work but I'm keeping most of the info on that under wraps. So without further ado here is the Living Weapon Rough Draft.

Living Weapon.
Quick Build.
You can make a living weapon by following these suggestions. First make Strength your highest ability score fallowed by Dexterity. Second, choose the Criminal background.

Class Features.

Hit Points

Proficiencies

Skills: Choose 3 from Acrobatics, Athletics Deception, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Perception, Persuasion, and Stealth.

Equipment
• (a) a quarter staff or (b) any simple weapon.
• (a) explorer’s pack or (b) scholar’s pack.

Unarmored Defense
Beginning at 1st level, while wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC equals 10 + your Strength modifier + your Constitution modifier.

At 1st level, you have been altered in some way by outside means between: Experimental Tech or Cursed by The Great Old One, each will be detailed at the end of the class description. Your choice grants you features at 1st level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Fast Movement

Altered Immunity
By 3rd level, your augmented immune system has developed to the point you are immune to disease.

Uncanny Dodge
Starting at 5th level, when an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack’s damage against you.

Unconventional Magik
At 7th level the experiments have imbued you with the ability to cast 2 cantrips from the Bard’s spell list. Charisma is your spell casting ability.

Pushing Your Limits
At 9th level, you are willing to press the limits of the experiments even if it ends badly for you. You can now reroll a saving throw you fail. If you do so, you must use the new roll, and you can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest. Also if you roll a 1 on the new roll then you are knocked prone.
You can use this feature once between long rests starting at 13th level you may use it twice and at 17th level three times between long rests.

Worked Out the Kinks
At 11th level, you have had sufficient time to learn how to fight with the weapon that gives you the name of living weapon. Now your strikes with this weapon deal 1d8 damage instead of 1d6.

A Strong Mind
By 15th level, you have acquired greater mental strength. You gain proficiency in Wisdom saving throws.

Sharpened Senses
At 18th level, you gain preternatural sense that help you fight creatures you can’t see. When you attack a creature you can’t see, your inability to it doesn’t impose disadvantage on your attack rolls against it.
You are also aware of the location of any invisible creature within 30 feet of you provided the creature isn’t hidden from you and you aren’t blinded or defended.

Complete Control of Yourself.
After many encounters and hardships you have learned how to perfectly control or craft your weapon. You now have the ability to turn your weapon into a Magical Weapon, in order to do this you must have the magical weapon you desire to fuse with yourself and will need to take at least 8 hours altering your own weapon so that they will work.
If at any point you want to change this magical weapon you must spend 8 hours removing the magical weapon you fused with yourself, the magical weapon is damaged beyond repair.

Built in Weapon.
You may use your Dexterity modifier if you want as long as the weapon type is piercing or slashing.
Magik Tech.
Powerful Magik Tech.
At 14th level, your weapon becomes imbued with a magical damage type from this list: Fire, Cold, Electric or Force. This adds a d4 of damage to your attack of that type. Example you deal 1d8 slashing damage plus 1d4 of fire damage.
At 1st level, even though you survived your encounter with the Great Old One you have been physically marked by it, your arm has been transformed into a tentacle, this tentacle does 1d6 bludgeoning damage. You have advantage on any grapples you make with it, on fallowing turns you may make a attack roll to deal 1d4 damage.
The Great Old One’s Mind
Have you considered putting your builds up on the Dungeon Masters Guild jinxedsouls? The community (minus the trolls) will help you refine and polish it further to the point where you might make some money. Thanks for sharing :-)

P.S I can't even begin to understand what you mean by "staggering module"! Sounds way above my head, but looking forward to finding out more.
I have, for the longest time I couldn't get my laptop to run the page (Jinx McCoy is my name on there.) I just got it working yesterday so I'm just in the middle of figuring out how to get them into the right format for the site.
As for that "staggering module" I mentioned, the basic goal of it to work at the optimal levels would requite at least 16 (and up to 24) players and 4 DM's. Each DM would be running a different path in the story even though they begin in the same place, it's a project of mine that's something intended to work a lot like the Starter set for 5e on a larger scale, thought out the module there will be moments where all the groups come together to work towards some goal such as defend this point or defend this party fighting the boss. Basically you split everyone into 1 of 4 categories; Strength, Magic, Utility and Custom Classes. Then they choose a background from a list given to them and that determines their PC. It's meant as something to draw in players of all skill levels. Something great to run novices though who aren't comfortable with character creation and for veterans who want to try something different. The backgrounds are a mix of home brew backgrounds I've found online and those in the various 5e books.
From there it will most likely turn into pure chaos, it's a lot of thought and work but has been a lot of fun so far.