Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rewatch value
Currently on an archive binge rewatch of the series and was wondering, does anyone else also rewatch the old episodes, or do you eatch once and that's it?
(12-20-2015, 04:56 PM)LordofUzkulak Wrote: Currently on an archive binge rewatch of the series and was wondering, does anyone else also rewatch the old episodes, or do you watch once and that's it?

I tend to rewatch certain arcs of the playlist, namely ones that didn't frustrate me (because I love the show so much, I can't help but get frustrated when the party does stupid crap or other things). Namely, I tend to skip certain episodes because they are painful to watch or because I tend to notice the scathing remarks left in the chat room prior to Episode 33 where it was FINALLY hidden from view.

The arcs I tend to watch are the Slayer's Take and Whitestone arcs. With a few others thrown in. So technically 18-23, then skip to 28-35 (36 once the festival episode is uploaded). Plus... a certain someone's shenanigans make certain episodes hard to watch. (Hint: it's not Marisha because I love Keyleth. However, I will not mention their name.)

That being said, I'm looking forward to the new year, and with it, new adventures for Vox Machina.
My YouTube channel for VG commentary playthroughs. Come check it out of you want.
Proud supporter of Vaxleth, an adventurer looking for campaigns to join, and just an avid fan of Critical Role.
I'm sure everyone has players/characters that they dislike and I agree that if they do something prominent in an episode it can hurt that episode's replay value (in my rewatch I've skipped the Aramente episode because I found Marisha's acting in that one particularly painful), although that's the only one I haven't particularly wanted to rewatch.

I've never really noticed the chat room as normally it's too small to clearly read (or at least that's the case on my iPad) and usually whizzed past to fast to read.

I think the Slayer's Take arc is probably one of the better ones, mostly because of the shakeup in dynamic by introducing the guest characters.
(12-20-2015, 06:15 PM)LordofUzkulak Wrote: I'm sure everyone has players/characters that they dislike and I agree that if they do something prominent in an episode it can hurt that episode's replay value (in my rewatch I've skipped the Aramente episode because I found Marisha's acting in that one particularly painful), although that's the only one I haven't particularly wanted to rewatch.

I've never really noticed the chat room as normally it's too small to clearly read (or at least that's the case on my iPad) and usually whizzed past to fast to read.

I think the Slayer's Take arc is probably one of the better ones, mostly because of the shakeup in dynamic by introducing the guest characters.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. "Aramente to Pyrah" is one of my favorites BECAUSE of her acting; it's what made Keyleth my favorite character. It's because for someone as naive and funny as her, she's had a hard road herself much like most of the party. As for the "hypocrisy", keep this in mind: at times it's hard to tell whether it's her as the player or her as the character. Personally, I think it's rather unfair that out of everyone, she's the one that's singled out. I don't see as many fingers pointed at certain other people.

And besides, I think people are taking things WAY too seriously. We should be thankful that we're even getting to witness the story they're telling in the first place. Instead, I see a lot of people constantly being backseat DMs and undergoing "rules lawyering", to say nothing about them constantly badmouthing the players and/or their characters.

Thing is, everyone makes mistakes. It's not right to nitpick and point out every one; it ruins the fun for everybody.

And those reasons are also why I can't bring myself to rewatch certain episodes.
My YouTube channel for VG commentary playthroughs. Come check it out of you want.
Proud supporter of Vaxleth, an adventurer looking for campaigns to join, and just an avid fan of Critical Role.
I agree that it's hard sometimes to tell where the player ends and the character begins, so generally unless it's something that's blatantly the player I prefer to direct my ire towards the character, especially as the group is doing us a favour by letting us watch their games; they don't have to do that so we should be grateful to them regardless of what we think of how they play their characters. Not to mention the charity work they do (which is why even though I hate Keyleth I see no reason to hold a negative view of Marisha). I think it's important to make a distinction between player and character when discussing the show.

The reason I don't like the Aremente episode is because I feel Marisha's acting in that one is especially over the top and melodramatic and didn't give me the sense of her being someone burdened by her experiences. I couldn't have done better, but that doesn't mean I should give her a free pass on the matter in regards to whether or not I enjoyed it.

I see no reason to badmouth Marisha just because Keyleth acts in a way I find unpleasant, but at the same time I don't see why I should pretend that she's amazing. The same goes for all the others - there is no reason to criticise and overanalyse every action they do, but at the same time there is nothing wrong with saying "I don't like how X acted in episode Y because of reason Z." and then leave it at that.

As for it being unfair that Keyleth was singled out, are you referring to my comment about her making Aramente to Pyrah unwatchable for me or to comments other people have made in general? If the former, then I will say that other characters have done things that I've found unpleasant (eg Scanlan and his running gag of deffacating), but for me Keyleth is just the most egregious and most consistently annoying which is why I named her specifically. I don't see any reason to go into greater detail about my dislike of the character because as you say it spoils the fun of the show by tearing it apart and complaining over every little bit (eg the way Marisha plays a Druid doesn't feel right to me but as far as I'm concerned, it's her character not mine so she can play her however she wants and as such see no reason to analyse that topic or complain about it - there's nothing to complain about imho).

I don't want to bash Marisha because I think it's unfair to do so and there's no reason to do so. I only mentioned her here because I was explaining why I felt unable to rewatch that episode. I'm sorry if you mistake my comments here and in the Favourite VM member thread for doing so, but I did not intend them that way; here I was just explaining why that particular episode was unenjoyable for me and in the other thread I was just explaining why I held a different opinion to most Critters. As I said above, there's nothing wrong with saying that you don't like something in the show and say why. It's when your comments degrade into personal attacks that you've crossed a line.

But we're kinda straying off topic - this thread should be about celebrating the fun parts of the show, not be an arena for people to air personal grievances Smiling
(12-20-2015, 07:06 PM)LordofUzkulak Wrote: I agree that it's hard sometimes to tell where the player ends and the character begins, so generally unless it's something that's blatantly the player I prefer to direct my ire towards the character, especially as the group is doing us a favour by letting us watch their games; they don't have to do that so we should be grateful to them regardless of what we think of how they play their characters.  Not to mention the charity work they do (which is why even though I hate Keyleth I see no reason to hold a negative view of Marisha).  I think it's important to make a distinction between player and character when discussing the show.

The reason I don't like the Aremente episode is because I feel Marisha's acting in that one is especially over the top and melodramatic and didn't give me the sense of her being someone burdened by her experiences.  I couldn't have done better, but that doesn't mean I should give her a free pass on the matter in regards to whether or not I enjoyed it.

I see no reason to badmouth Marisha just because Keyleth acts in a way I find unpleasant, but at the same time I don't see why I should pretend that she's amazing.  The same goes for all the others - there is no reason to criticise and overanalyse every action they do, but at the same time there is nothing wrong with saying "I don't like how X acted in episode Y because of reason Z." and then leave it at that.  

As for it being unfair that Keyleth was singled out, are you referring to my comment about her making Aramente to Pyrah unwatchable for me or to comments other people have made in general?  If the former, then I will say that other characters have done things that I've found unpleasant (eg Scanlan and his running gag of deffacating), but for me Keyleth is just the most egregious and most consistently annoying which is why I named her specifically.  I don't see any reason to go into greater detail about my dislike of the character because as you say it spoils the fun of the show by tearing it apart and complaining over every little bit (eg the way Marisha plays a Druid doesn't feel right to me but as far as I'm concerned, it's her character not mine so she can play her however she wants and as such see no reason to analyse that topic or complain about it - there's nothing to complain about imho).

I don't want to bash Marisha because I think it's unfair to do so and there's no reason to do so.  I only mentioned her here because I was explaining why I felt unable to rewatch that episode.  I'm sorry if you mistake my comments here and in the Favourite VM member thread for doing so, but I did not intend them that way; here I was just explaining why that particular episode was unenjoyable for me and in the other thread I was just explaining why I held a different opinion to most Critters.  As I said above, there's nothing wrong with saying that you don't like something in the show and say why.  It's when your comments degrade into personal attacks that you've crossed a line.

But we're kinda straying off topic - this thread should be about celebrating the fun parts of the show, not be an arena for people to air personal grievances Smiling

I wasn't naming you at all. I was referring to other people (Critters and non-Critters aka trolls and haters) in general. And I apologize as well; I tend to get VERY defensive when it comes to that.

But yeah, some episodes I can't watch due to someone other than her, and there are others I don't watch because of someone else. The Whitestone arc, however, is where I think they've been at their strongest so far in terms of RP. But that's just my opinion.
(12-20-2015, 07:11 PM)TiamatZX Wrote: I wasn't naming you at all. I was referring to other people (Critters and non-Critters aka trolls and haters) in general. And I apologize as well; I tend to get VERY defensive when it comes to that.

Don't worry about it - everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  And as long as we all remain polite and curtious towards each other there's nothing wrong with voicing it Smiling
I have rewatched almost all of the eps at least once, as I'm one of the stats gatherers for the Crit Role Stats account. I don't think they've had a single episode yet that I wouldn't recommend watching / re-watching - there's enough good stuff in all of them to make them worthwhile.
DMing a game being streamed on Mondays at 8 PM Eastern! COME WATCH! twitch.tv/rpgamer99
@quadz08 on twitter
I tend to re-watch the second half of the episodes because I'm usually getting ready for work the next day during that time and sometimes (especially if they run late) I'm just so tired I don't really pay close enough attention and miss stuff.

If I had a zillion hours in the day, I'd definitely have no problem re-watching any episode, they're highly entertaining - obviously I like some more than others, but I'd have no problem watching any of them again.
(12-20-2015, 06:22 PM)TiamatZX Wrote: I'm sorry but I have to disagree. "Aramente to Pyrah" is one of my favorites BECAUSE of her acting; it's what made Keyleth my favorite character. 

Actually, her acting is what convinced me Keyleth is the character I dislike the most .  Because of various things that Keyleth has said, the only rational conclusion to some of the issues she has to face is to retire from adventuring completely.

She started to worry about the consequences of the actions the party takes and frets about what could happen even if they do what appears to be the right thing at the time.  While that is not a completely irrational thing to consider for a naive character like Keyleth, the only conclusion to that line of thinking and worrying is to not be in those situations and thus not be an adventurer in a party that as a whole doesn't worry about such things.  Time to re-roll.  I like how well Marisha plays the class though.  Just not that portion of the character's personality.

My favorites are any episodes with Grog and Scanlan.  I could watch them all day.  There is even a Youtube channel focused on some of Scanlan's best moments.