Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Working on a Custom Class: Vampire Hunter.
So I'm working on a custom class for use in campaigns currently I'm looking for advice and/or suggestions on how to go about anything after what I have below and naturally I'll keep updating information about this class as I start figuring it out, as a little companion I'm also creating a full blood vampire race (I know they sort of have one but I want to make my own).

Vampire Hunter D&D Custom Class.
    Overview: A vampire hunter gains a blessing from a god in order to hunt the cursed souls.
        Hit Points
    Hit Dice: 1d8 per Vampire Hunter Level.
    Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier.
    Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 + your Constitution or just at 6 + you Constitution.
        Proficiencies
    Armor: Light Armor.
    Weapons: Simple Weapons, Rapiers and Whips.
    Tools: None.
    Saving Throws: Wisdom and Dexterity.
    Skills: Choose 3 from Acrobatics, Athletics, Charisma, History, Insight, Religion or Stealth.
        Equipment
    You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
    •    (a) a rapier or (b) a simple weapon and a whip.
    •    Leather armor
    •    (a) priest’s pack or (b) an explorer’s pack.
    •    A holy symbol.
Cool idea, looking forward to seeing the finished class. If you had a feat that turned your holy symbol into a stake at will, that would be awesome ;-)
Just curious why they can use Rapiers and Whips but not all Martial Melee Weapons? It sounds interesting, also curious how it differentiats from some of the other classes, sounds pretty similar to cleric from what you've typed. Just wondering if they get spells from a certain class, or some other special things?
SheWolf  
Personal Twitter: Locke_and_Load
Campaign Twitter: ValendorDnD
Character Twitter: SkylatheRanger
Update: DaggerDaggerDagger and SheWolf you brought up some great points/ideas. I'm going to post how it has been updated and what I've currently got for abilities and such.

Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 + your Constitution or just at 6 + you Constitution.
Proficiencies
Weapons: Martial Weapons and Silver Weapons.
Tools: None.
Skills: Choose 3 from Acrobatics, Athletics, Charisma, History, Insight, Religion or Stealth.
Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
• (a) a rapier or (b) a martial weapon and a whip.
• Leather armor
• (a) priest’s pack or (b) an explorer’s pack.
• A holy symbol.

Abilities and Level Requirement.
(1st Level) As long as a vampire hunter has their holy symbol their whips deal 1d6 damage to all enemies and as a vampire hunter you gain advantage with silver weapons against creatures who are weak to silver.

(1st Level) As a vampire hunter your holy symbol grants your attacks 1d4 holy damage.

(2nd Level) Once per rest as a bonus action you can transform your holy symbol into a stake that deals 1d6 Piercing Damage and 1d4 Holy damage; you can do this 1 + your wisdom modifier and this effect lasts for 10 minutes. At levels 6th, 10th, 14th and 18th you gain an extra use for example 2 + wisdom modifier at 6th.

-this one isn't a for sure thing-(2nd Level) You now know the cantrip Bane (as a cantrip you can target 2 creatures of your choice that you can see within range they must make Charisma saving throws. If a creature fails this saving throw makes an attack roll or saving throw the target must roll a d4 and subtract that number rolled from the attack roll or saving throw.)

Currently the Bane Cantrip is possibly going to happen, I'm not sure yet though because I'm also considering giving them a spell list to choose from instead.

So in answer to SheWolf's questions (a) I used the Cleric and Monk classes when figuring out the basics because I consider them holy like the clerics but more like a monk when it comes to fighting and (b) how this one becomes different is abilities, mainly they will have improved fighting against undead, vampires, werewolves ect.
As mentioned above as long as they have a holy symbol they deal 1d4 holy damage and deal more damage with Whips. The Whip skills are because I love Castlevanina games and the rapiers are because they just, fit, with how I'm envisioning the Vampire Hunter Class.

I'm working on a few rough sketches for what I picture but those are taking a lot more effort than I had originally imagined so far off from completion.

Also thanks for the comment about the weapons I just hadn't thought about it, so I did alter it (thank you, it makes more sense to me) now and I decided to limit the proficiency to Martial instead but include Silver Weapons.

And DaggerDaggerDagger that ability at level 2 is all because of your comment about how it'd be cool because I agree but I wanted to change it slightly from how I pictured it based off of how you said it; basically I just wanted it to have more function than just giving you a Piercing based damage type. I love that idea a lot, I just want you to be aware, it's awesome... thank you.
I thought Bane was a 1st level spell, not a cantrip.
I think this is a cool idea but has some kinks to work out. 1d4 holy damage to every weapon attack seems a bit much. I'm assuming you mean radiant damage, and theres nothing saying it doesn't effect all creatures. So this class just gets 1d4 always. Silver weapons are normal weapons that have the silver property so they don't need proficiency in them. The level 1 ability to have advantage against silver weak enemies is interesting, but consider that they are already doubling the damage with that weapon so it may need adjusting eventually, especially stacked with the added 1d4 they always get. would probably make the weapons all simple weapons and one martial weapon of their choice. Or one or two specific martial weapons. Also is this only a melee class? Maybe consider a Heavy crossbow proficiency and some ranged options? Not sure if that would fit in your idea fpr the class. For tool proficiency I think woodworker tools would be some interesting flavor, stakes and whatnot.

I like the idea a lot. Just keep in mind that the class needs to be useful all around. In a heavy undead campaign this class is going to be overpowered compared to others, and in regular campaigns it may be underpowered compared to others. Ideally all classes should be a viable option in any campaign.

Excited to see the end result because it looks great so far.
~Mental - DM
I was also going to say that the Level 1 stuff is a bit OP. The whip one sounds awesome but adding the 1d4 to every weapon sounds a bit powerful. And I would say bump the holy symbol stake and bane stuff to Level 3 since that's when the next good bump is. Maybe they can get something else at Level 2 that's more of a skill instead of something for fighting. This sounds really awesome though! Great idea Smiling
SheWolf  
Personal Twitter: Locke_and_Load
Campaign Twitter: ValendorDnD
Character Twitter: SkylatheRanger
Great points all around and it has given me a better perspective on how to work this so I'm going to be tweeking it heavily tonight after I'm home from D&D tonight. But here is what will be happening with the set up for now; one I'm adding spells instead of that cantrip idea (and Bane is a 1st level spell I just altered it so I could possibly use it) and I'll put the list of spells at the bottom of this post, second I'm going to be reassess levels of abilities and the like and as the third thing I'm working on its getting the class up to level 5.
Current spells for Vampire Hunter (very rough draft of this.)
1st
Alarm
Bane
Bless
Detect Evil and Good
Hunter's Mark
Sanctuary
2nd
Blur
Branding Smite
Calm Emotions
Ray of Enfeeblement
3rd
Aura of Vitality
Beacon of Hope
Counter Spell
Feign Death
Glyph of Warding
4th
Aura of Life
Aura of Purity
Death Ward
Guardian of Faith
Staggering Smite
5th
Awaken
Dispel Evil and Good
Hallow
Legend Lore

As a final quick note a good amount of the starting stuff is going to be changing.
It's shaping up nicely, the spell list is very flavourful. I've just modified a feat for a paladin in my campaign so that he can do additional radiant damage to any creature with evil alignment. Maybe that might work for this class if your DM thinks 1d4 on every weapon is too much?
I'm actually DMing this campaign and need an NPC for the upcoming events in the story, I did figure out the difference to the base class. So here is what I've done;
Hit Points
Proficiencies
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Crossbows and Whips.
Tools: Wood Working tools.
Equipment
• (a) a Hand Crossbow with 20 bolts or (b) a simple weapon as well as a whip.
• Leather armor
• (a) priest’s pack or (b) an explorer’s pack.
• A holy symbol.

Abilities and Level Requirement.
(1st Level) As a vampire hunter you deal 1d6 with whips instead of 1d4.
(1st Level) Once per rest + your Proficiency Bonus you can bless a flask of water to make it holy water.
(2nd) Fighting Style choose one.
• Dueling: When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus damage rolls with that weapon.
• Holy Brawler: When fighting unarmed you now deal 1d4 and if you hold a holy symbol in your hand you also deal 1d4 radiant damage, this ability only works with one holy symbol.
• Improvised Slaying: As a vampire hunter you have learned how to effectively throw flasks of holy water (or other substances) and to fight with sharp stake like objects thus giving you proficiency.
(2nd) As a vampire hunter you have learned some basic spells in order to aid your war on the undead.
Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier.
(3rd Level) Once per rest + your wisdom modifier you can as a bonus action transform your holy symbol into a stake that deals 1d6 piercing damage and 1d4 holy damage, this effect lasts for 1 hour. At levels 7th, 11th, and 15th you gain an extra use for example 2 + wisdom modifier at 7th level.

Vampire Hunter Spells
1st
Alarm
Bane
Bless
Compelled Duel
Detect Evil and Good
Hunter’s Mark
Protection from Evil and Good
Sanctuary
2nd
Blur
Branding Smite
Calm Emotions
Find Traps
Gentle Repose
Pass Without a Trace
Ray of Enfeeblement
Zone of Truth
3rd
Aura of Vitality
Beacon of Hope
Blinding Smite
Crusader’s Mantle
Feign Death
Glyph of Warding
Magic Circle
Phantom Steed
Remove Curse
4th
Aura of Life
Aura of Purity
Death Ward
Guardian of Faith
Staggering Smite
5th
Awaken
Dispel Evil and Good
Hallow
Hold Monster
Legend Lore

As before this is still mostly rough information but a lot of the 1st/2nd level stuff is nearly finalized.