Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Character Creation
Hello Critters!

I was wondering if any of you have some good advice and/or tutorials on creating characters for DnD? I am soon to be playing my first campaign, and while I am a DnD noob, I did RPGs a lot before, just not in this format. And thanks to Critical Role I got really into it and managed to make my friend start a game for us. We will be playing 3,5 though.

So, anyways, what I am asking is, with the slightly complicated system of char creation do you guys have any good tips and tricks, advice on which classes and races are the best to combine etc.
I'd say roll for your stats first. If you go straight down the line then you'll have a good idea of what class to play. Afterwards choose a race that will complement the stats and the race. Or choose race and class off whatever you want to roleplay!

For example. If I have a 17 in strength, I pick barbarian. Half-Orcs get an increase to Strength, but a decrease to intelligence and charisma.

Hope that helps!
(08-13-2015, 11:25 PM)Reilith Wrote: Hello Critters!

I was wondering if any of you have some good advice and/or tutorials on creating characters for DnD? I am soon to be playing my first campaign, and while I am a DnD noob, I did RPGs a lot before, just not in this format. And thanks to Critical Role I got really into it and managed to make my friend start a game for us. We will be playing 3,5 though.

So, anyways, what I am asking is, with the slightly complicated system of char creation do you guys have any good tips and tricks, advice on which classes and races are the best to combine etc.

On the homepage, http://crittersdnd.com/ There are a number of tutorials, articles, and guides you could find useful. Most are centered around 5e, but a lot of the aspects are the same for most versions of D&D.
Personally, I like to give the character a story more than I like to min/max my damage and such.

It's just more fun to give the character a personality and story behind them before actually rolling for stats. Then, if your stats don't exactly match the character, you can change the character a little.
(08-14-2015, 11:17 PM)ItzColder Wrote: Personally, I like to give the character a story more than I like to min/max my damage and such.

It's just more fun to give the character a personality and story behind them before actually rolling for stats. Then, if your stats don't exactly match the character, you can change the character a little.

I totally agree... that's why I liked how for instance Grog has such low intelligence because he's not a smart character and Lyra had terrible Dex because she was always tripping and clumsy. I think those make better characters than trying to have the best stats all the time.
Bad Chilii
----------------------------------
Critter, Nerd, Sworn Enemy of Nightbot
#endtheregime
(08-13-2015, 11:25 PM)Reilith Wrote: Hello Critters!

So for me in any RP i play i always start with my character concept. most of the time you will have some ability to distribute or determine where you stat values go so you can do that after. I personally decide ok what do i want my characters background to be. and i make a very basic idea (example   orphaned  raised noble    etc)    then i try to find a way to make it more personal (why were you orphaned, was my family well respected or kind of rich and cruel etc)   then after i have that i decide Race/Class based on what would make sense for my idea.     

for the next part there's 2 ways i do it i either come up with a backstory first and pick my stats and spells etc to make sense or for a bit of fun. do your stats first then decide based on that what your backstory is.

that's just me but since its an RP i like to choose what i want my characters core concept to be first based on what i like then decide stats. even a cool character concept can be boring if you left it to chance and its not what you wanted or are interested in. details and stuff can come later but have a basic idea of who your character is then go from there to decide what race and class etc.   

hope this helps Smiling
~Like Scars of the Flesh that leave a White Line. Scars of the Soul Rarely fade over time.~
~E.J.S.~
~AKA~
~Me~
I'm such an artistic nerd, i always start with a concept and either a character sketch or a piece of artwork. Even recently I've gotten into Miniature Painting so if i find a really cool looking one ill roll a character based on that.

as for stats my current DM prefers the points buy in system which keeps us all at a similar power level. even then if you decide to min/max your stats you can have some pretty funny low stats which can be a blast to RP.
I currently play a chaotic good human bard in 3.5e. I decided what kind of character he would be before i rolled his stats and ended up with some extreme numbers which made for him having both great strengths (18 int and charisma) and extreme weaknesses (literally has 6 strength and 4 constitution at level 1) with average wisdom and just above average dex.

I think having a concept first is a better way forward as you are likely going to be playing that character for a significant amount of time, and feeling like you have a connection to character rather than the dice deciding (to an extent) what you are playing, will make for a more enjoyable RP.