Critters RPG Forum
Dealing with aggressive players - Printable Version

+- Critters RPG Forum (http://forum.crittersrpg.com)
+-- Forum: Dungeons & Dragons (http://forum.crittersrpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: D&D General Discussion (http://forum.crittersrpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Dealing with aggressive players (/showthread.php?tid=493)

Dealing with aggressive players - Bboy207 - 09-18-2016

Hello, I am in a group and we have only been playing for the year. However I am really into it and often go way harder than the others, But my roleplay is still something I am working on. However, this most recent campaign is being led by one of my friends and he is a first time DM. He has been great my problem is the others players.  The party is a Human totem barbarian, a wood elf cleric, and a gnome rogue. However, the barbarian is really aggressive and is constantly yelling and just takes most of the money and loot for himself. The Gnome is shady but he plays it off better. Finally, the Cleric is chaotic good, but just does what she wants really (it's her first time playing). A So far I have switched out characters because my other character didn't mesh well with the party. However when this new character was introduced the first thing they did was knock him out and steal his magic item.  I tried to get it back, but that just made everyone saltier.  I am just unsure what to do really and the DM is good he just is trying his best, but he doesn't want to get too involved.

RE: Dealing with aggressive players - DaggerDaggerDagger - 09-18-2016

Hey Bboy207, sorry to hear about your situation. It's a real shame when others, usually unknowingly, spoil the experience for others. It should be the DM's job to try and keep all the players happy. I know it's easy for someone on the outside to say "talk to them", without fully knowing the situation. Only you know if that will help or not.

Either way knocking out a newly introduced character is not the way a game should go. The very basic rules of creating a character in a non evil campaign is to:
1)Be ready to go on an adventure.
2)Be ready to be part of a team

Without knowing the personality of all involved this advice might be useless, but you have to make the decision to deal with this either in-game or out of game. If you decide to talk to the person, make sure to do it away from the rest of the group in a relaxed setting. If you want to do it in-game prepare beforehand. Try to anticipate the conflict, and have some role-playing material handy. If you go for the in-game option, be prepared for things to go wrong on the roll of a die.

I hope things get sorted soon mate. Hopefully your DM will be able to focus more on the party as he gains more experience. (A DM I know dealt with a loot hungry player by introducing a cursed item. Specifically a Ring of Fatal Attraction, that redirected all projectiles thrown/shot at the party towards him)

RE: Dealing with aggressive players - Bboy207 - 09-18-2016

Do you have any roleplay tips that might help. I have a detailed background and traits I am just not good at actually playing them out.

RE: Dealing with aggressive players - DaggerDaggerDagger - 09-19-2016

I'm not a very good role-player myself, sorry to say. I'm a lot more comfortable creating NPC's than a PC. It should be just as easy, as the process is the same. But there's something about how much of yourself you put into a PC that creates the difference.

The best advice I can give I think is to not let what happens to your character effect you too much. If another player or an NPC insults or hurts your character, don't take it personally. Try and detach yourself a little and think how your character will react to that, not how you will react. I know it's a hard thing to do, because you care about the character you've made.

Anticipating roleplaying moments can help. For example, you know the Barbarian in your group is violent and loud. Have a think about what your character would do next time he became violent in a public place, or tries to steal something from another party member ect. Having a rough outline of how your character will react will hopefully add some confidence to your roleplaying in the heat of the moment.